William Brooks entered the service on 1st enlistment October 1778 and lived in Culpepper County, Virginia. His second enlistment was February 1781. William was a Private in the Virginia Militia under Captain Woods, Captain Waugh, Captain Thomas Hamilton, Colonel Barber, Colonel Charles Dabney, Colonel Hugh Crockett, and Lieutenant William Slaughter.
William married Nancy Ann Locke (4 Dec 1749 - 21 Oct 1844), daughter of John Locke, on 5 Sep 1769. The children’s names and dates of birth written in ink in the Brooks family Bible are as follows:
John Brooks (b. 11 Jun 1770)
Richard Brooks (b. 12 Feb 1774)
Thomas Brooks (b. 22 Jan 1778)
Polly Brooks (b. 22 Jan 1778)
Nancy Brooks (b. 20 Dec 1780)
William Brooks (b. 7 Apr 1782)
Sarah Brooks (b. 10 Mar 1783)
Elizabeth Brooks (b. 13 Feb 1785)
Mary Brooks (b. 19 Jul 1789)
Levicy Brooks (b. 2 Sep 1791)
In the “Annals of Tazewell County, Virginia,” page 246, dated 1841, there is a list of William Brooks' heirs including his wife, sons, and the married names of his daughters: "It appearing to the satisfaction of the Court, that William Brooks, deceased, was a Revolutionary pensioner, that he departed this life on the 24th day of January, 1841, leaving his widow, Anna Brooks, and the following being all his heirs and legal representatives, to wit, John Brooks, William Brooks, Richard Brooks, Thomas Brooks, James Brooks, Margaret Kirk, Elizabeth Stephenson, Nancy Clyburn, Sally Todd, Polly Brooks and Louise Asberry, it is ordered that the same be certified."
William is buried next to his wife Nancy in a small fenced in area named the Brooks Cemetery located on a private farm in Thompson Valley, Tazewell County, Virginia.
References and Notes
Annals of Tazewell County, Virginia.
Grave marker located Brooks Cemetery (farm cemetery) Thompson Valley, Tazewell, Tazewell County, Virginia.Annals of Tazewell Co., VA.
Records of William Brooks Family, Bible printed 1756.
Rev War Pension R1259, Abstract Rev War.
Rev War Pension & Bounty Land Warrant Application Files: Archive Pub #804, Archive Roll #355, 49 pages, 7 June 1832.
--submitted by Christopher Scott Reynolds NSSAR #202013